Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Professional use of muscle testing

Because I was so intrigued by what I had discovered about muscle testing I wanted to learn how to do it myself. Although I studied and researched many hours with my mentor, I never felt that I had the confidence to try it without his supervision. So although I felt that I was an expert on the theory of how it worked, I learned how to do MRT from a video training course I bought.

After the book project was scrapped, I continued to research the idea of being able to access and question the subconscious mind through muscle testing. I spent a lot of time on the Internet reading about how others were using MRT. Some of the conclusions they presented were based on false ideas so I knew they weren't for me. Then I found Dr. Brad May of Serenity Systems.

A second witness

I have written about my experiences with Dr. May previously, but I want to focus on what I felt were the two greatest benefits of his work. First, he corroborated for me what I had learned from my original mentor. Although the method of releasing stress was a little different, the method of discovering the source of that stress was almost exactly the same or more precise.

Second, Dr. May brought the credentials of a PhD. to the study and had used MRT clinically in his work as a psychiatrist. He documented his work with videos and specific training manuals that showed exactly how to perform muscle testing and how to use the unique questioning techniques to access the subconscious mind. His case studies were well defined and explained.

MRT on the fingers

The most exciting part of his work to me, was that he taught how to use finger testing in addition to arm testing, and demonstrated exactly how it was performed. After reading his book I just had to have his video training series which I purchased and reviewed many times. In the videos he showed that finger muscle testing was actually more comfortable for most of his clients.

Dr. May is also the only practitioner of MRT I know who explains surrogate muscle testing which allows muscle testing to be performed on an individual without being in physical contact. I knew that my first mentor used surrogate testing but he did not encourage it as it was not endorsed by the originator of the technique. However, I knew he used it as well. What was the problem?

Surrogate finger testing

The difficulty of surrogate muscle testing is that it is more subject to interference or more correctly stated, to interpretation. It is harder to be certain that the results being received through surrogate finger MRT are from the individual being tested and not your own subconscious. It takes years of practice to really get it right and be confident in the results.

The beauty of this advanced technique is that you can help someone who is not even physically present in the same room or even the same city as you. It can be performed while chatting with the individual on the phone or over the internet. Dr May even mentions covert testing where MRT is performed on a client without their knowledge or permission, as requested by a loving and concerned parent or spouse.

This is real and is being used

The purpose of sharing this information is an attempt to persuade you that muscle response testing is not a fluke and is not hokey. I know it is hard to believe that this could be used by anyone in the medical community but it is. I have discovered several other examples over the years of professionals who use this technique to help them in their work with their clients.

In the fifteen years since I first discovered it, I have researched dozens of websites of doctors that claim to use it in their work. Because it is so foreign to Western medicine, there is a lot of opposition, especially from individuals like Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch. As I have written before, Dr. Barrett does a lot of good but he is very opposed to the use of muscle testing.

Summary and conclusion

Because of the power and reach of the AMA, you will not find very many practitioners in the United States who use muscle testing in their work. But because of the worldwide reach of the Internet, we can now discover professionals outside of the U.S. documenting their work and corroborating the efficacy of questioning the subconscious through muscle response testing.

I am grateful that I was exposed to MRT many years ago and learned it from several of the pioneers in the field. After fifteen years, I remain convinced that it is a legitimate tool when used properly. There is no doubt that it is misused as well. MRT is a unique and special tool that can produce valuable and reliable results when used by those who are trained and practiced.

No comments: