Saturday, October 6, 2007

Let the journey begin

I've been on a journey of discovery into holistic healing for many years. As I define it, holistic healing is the process of healing all areas of our being: physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Like many others, I appreciate Western Medicine, especially in emergency care situations. But I have seen its limits and drawbacks both in my life and in the lives of those around me whom I love. I was first introduced to alternative healing methods shortly after I married. It all started when I experienced a painful back injury while in Chicago on a business trip.

I picked up my suitcase, slung it over my shoulder and ran to catch a train to downtown. The suitcase has heavy and swung around to the opposite side of my body as I ran throwing me off balance. Suddenly, I felt a terrible wrenching pain in my back. It was so sharp that for a few seconds I couldn't breathe. The agonizing pain and discomfort lasted for several days and would not go away. I saw a doctor immediately upon returning from the business trip. He said there was nothing he could do and sent me home with the suggestion of alternating between cold and warm compresses and taking over-the-counter pain relief medication like aspirin or Tylenol.

Seeing my extreme discomfort, my wife suggested that I go see her chiropractor. I had never been to a chiropractor before but was ready to try anything at this point. Although skeptical at first, the relief was immediate and this chiropractor did not require me to return for endless treatment. I was so grateful that over the next several days I mentioned how I had been helped by a chiropractor to many people who knew about the problem I had experienced on my business trip. I was surprised at the reaction of some. They proceeded to tell me that I had done a bad thing and that there was no way that chiropractic care could do me any good.

I could not believe their reaction, especially from some in my immediate family. "Wait a minute," I thought, "I was feeling better and hoped that you would be happy for me. And please don't try to tell me how I feel. I know that I feel relief and you can't tell me otherwise." I later realized that the problem was that this person had never experienced chiropractic care for herself and therefore was basing her opinion of it on what she had heard or read from others. I came to discover that this response is typical from some people anytime I tried to tell them about some new method of healing I had discovered as the years went by.

In this blog I hope to share some things I have discovered over the years about healing, especially in the area of hidden emotional trauma. I hope that what I have to share will be helpful to some. I am confident that some of the things I will share are unique, things that I have discovered to be effective and powerful but have told very few people, for the very reason mentioned in the previous paragraph. I expect disbelief, criticism and even attacks to surface once I get into some of those methods and practices as I describe them in detail. Or not. Maybe nobody will ever discover or read my blog or maybe they will find it boring and uninteresting. We shall see. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: